Week 3: February 03–09
Move Beyond Borders
We live in a society of borders--geographical, sociological, and psychological. Migrants cross borders to build a better life for their families; same-gender couples navigate the boundaries of conventionally accepted love; and transgender individuals challenge the division of societally-defined gender. Some of us must reconcile our overlapping identities, and others must cross borders to embrace those we once considered “other.” Let us explore how we can break down these arbitrary barriers to achieve a more loving society.
The Month Ahead
Monday, February 4
“It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences.”
– Poet and Activist Audre Lorde
Explore the gender binary by not using gendered pronouns for one day, as a way to “start thinking outside the gender binary.” If you wish to reflect on this in community, share your experience on the TransFaith Facebook page.
Action for Families:
Can you go for a whole day without using gender pronouns (“he” and “she”, “his” and “her”, etc.)? How do you describe people without using gender?
- “A Crash Course in Gender Neutral Pronouns”
- “Practical Tips for Individual Allies” from TransFaith
- “Beyond the Gender Binary” TED Talk by Yee Won Chong
- “Transgender Identity & Inclusion” Webinar
- “Transgender Identity, Welcome, & Resources” page from the Unitarian Universalist Association
- “Breaking through the Binary: Gender Explained Using Continuums”