Organize Your Congregation
Motivate Leaders to Stand on the Side of Love
- Ordained Leaders: Incorporate Standing on the Side of Love themes into worship and sermons. Discuss the campaign with your board president and key congregational leaders and ask for their support.
- Religious Educators: Ask children and youth what Standing on the Side of Love means to them. Share their creative reflections with the congregation. Also, check out these multigenerational social justice resources.
- Congregational Leaders: Work with existing task forces, groups, and congregational staff to build enthusiasm.
Hold an Introductory Meeting
- Share key messages and information about the campaign and invite participants to share their experiences/reflections.
- Brainstorm how Standing on the Side of Love themes can be integrated into areas of congregational life.
- Collect names and contact information to follow up.
Bring Standing on the Side of Love to Your Congregation
- Order visibility materials: banner, t-shirts, pins, etc. Hold a banner hanging and dedication. Invite children and youth to participate.
- Set up a table or host discussion sessions for action and reflection. Reflect on your faith tradition’s theological foundations for Standing on the Side of Love.
- Photograph or video members engaging in creative activities and post on photo sharing sites like Flickr and YouTube.
- Incorporate Standing on the Side of Love into worship.
- Deepen your congregation’s involvement with Standing on the Side of Love by creating systematic ways to address oppression in your community, such as an Immigrant Justice Task Force or a SSL Rapid Response Team. Learn how with these webinar materials.
- Celebrate Courageous Love by presenting a Courageous Love Award to a member of your community.
Take Up a Collection