Standing on the Side of Love (SSL) is already a vibrant catalyst for change at many congregations. Because we are an open-source, grassroots-led campaign, the way people engage with SSL and shape it is different in every single congregation: from engaged individuals leading vigils to social justice committees creating collaborations with partners in your community to rallies at your state capitol, we know that you are standing on the side of love in powerful ways. But we trust there are even more tools you can use to organize within your congregation. Here are some resources to get you started, or help you continue the journey!
- Justice Ministries: Determining Grounding, Accountability, Fit, & Opportunity click here
- Creating a Collective Vision: Story of Self, Story of Us, and Story of Now click here
- Familiarize yourself with key messages from the campaign click here
- Check out the Unitarian Universalist Association's justice, immigration and and LGBTQ resource pages.
Motivate Leaders to Stand on the Side of Love
- Ordained Leaders: Incorporate Standing on the Side of Love themes into worship and sermons. Discuss the campaign with your board president and key congregational leaders and ask for their support. Check out these Standing on the Side of Love worship materials.
- Religious Educators: Ask children and youth what Standing on the Side of Love means to them. Share their creative reflections with the congregation. Also, check out these multigenerational social justice resources.
- Congregational Leaders: Work with existing task forces, groups, and congregational staff to build enthusiasm.
Bring Standing on the Side of Love to Your Congregation
- Order visibility materials: You can purchase t-shirts, pins, and more from the UUA bookstore. You are also welcome to create your own congregational materials with the Standing on the Side of Love branding and logo, but we first ask that you email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know what your plans are!
- Consider creating a banner with your congregational name and the SSL heart and a message that welcomes and invites newcomers in. Hold a banner hanging and dedication. Invite children and youth to participate.
- Set up a table or host discussion sessions for action and reflection. Reflect on your faith tradition’s theological foundations for Standing on the Side of Love.
- Photograph or video members engaging in creative activities and post on photo sharing sites like Flickr and YouTube or email them to us at email@example.com.
- Incorporate Standing on the Side of Love into worship.
- Deepen your congregation’s involvement with Standing on the Side of Love by creating systematic ways to address oppression in your community, such as an Immigrant Justice Task Force or a SSL Rapid Response Team. Learn how with these webinar materials.
- Celebrate Courageous Love by presenting a Courageous Love Award to a member of your community.
Take up a Collection
- Set up a table or circulate a collection basket for donations. You can collect cash and use the credit card donation form for credit card donations.
- Find instructions and mailing address on the submitting congregational collections checklist.
- Make sure to include the collection gift information sheet when you mail your donations packet.